Thursday, December 29, 2011

Movie Review: Rubber

Synopsis: When Robert, a tire, discovers his destructive telepathic powers, he soon sets his sights on a desert town; in particular, a mysterious woman becomes his obsession.

Yes, you read that right. A tire. Talk about a quirky, bizarre film... this horror/comedy soars to new heights on that front. But is it any good? Well, short answer: no. Long answer: oh hell no.

Oh it's definitely very original and quite creative for sure, I just thought it was all pretty stupid and boring. I wanted to like it after reading some reviews and seeing all the buzz about the philosophical implications and symbolism and blah blah blah. Whatever. And fans of the film will give it the old standard "you just don't get it!" probably. But I'm not ashamed to admit I guess that I just don't get it. I thought the symbolism was pretty weak and the storytelling really wasn't that much better. They keep breaking the 4th wall yet it really didn't add much I thought. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it tried to play serious and straight-up. So again... I just don't get it I guess, but watching a tire roll around for long sequences bored the hell out of me.

Maybe it's "fringey" just for the sake of being so. Maybe it's for pretentious people to ponder over how edgy it is and say they get it. Whatever. It's an art film and usually those form 2 camps... you love it or you hate it. I'm in the later on this one. You may like it.

I'll give it a few points for a couple of good laughs, some cool head explosions and just the overall originality and oddity of it, but frankly I was just pretty confused and disappointed by the end. I wish I hadn't been.

3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...