Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Move Review: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Synopsis: During experiments to find a cure for Alzheimer's disease, a genetically-enhanced chimpanzee uses its greater intelligence to lead other apes to freedom.

Wow, this was a lot better than I thought it would be. To use an old cliche... I grew up on the "Apes" movies! No, really I did. Have them all on DVD now. I just figured there was no point in restarting the franchise. I was wrong of course, as usual. Why restart it? Becuase of uber-talented people like Andy Serkis, who through the use of some fancy technology (motion capture CGI?), plays the lead ape here and it just mesmerizing. All the apes not only look alive but just look damn cool.

The direction is also very stylish and when you add that with the mind-blowing special effects, this really breathes new life to the franchise. The action scenes are spectacularly exciting and entertaining. The story is much more humane and socially aware.

The negatives? Well, the whole "animal testing is evil" is pretty much shoved down your throat. And humans are mostly portrayed as in-human monsters. Pardon the pun. Hey, I for one, am a human and I'm a good guy. I like you monkeys that are reading this (if any) so take it easy on me when you take over the world please. We're not all bad, I promise.

But this is a fun, popcorn flick with some heart and soul to it. One of if not the best sci-fi films I've seen this year.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...