Tuesday, September 27, 2011

RnR Hall of Shame Fails Again

Nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s class of 2012 are in, with artists that released their their first single or album in 1986 or earlier eligible for this year's ballot. Once again, as I do every single year, I shake my head and marvel at the stupidity of the nominating and voting process. It's just such an embarrassment that I feel obligated every year to do my part. I know it really shouldn't bother me as it's proven to be so meaningless but still for some reason I like to see my favorite bands, or at least deserving bands, make it.

This year, Guns N’ Roses, the Cure, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Eric B. and Rakim, the Spinners, the Small Faces/Faces, Freddy King and Rufus with Chaka Khan are all hitting the ballot for the first time, while previous nominees Beastie Boys, Laura Nyro, War, Donovan and Red Hot Chili Peppers also made the cut.

The top vote-getters will be inducted on April 14th, 2012 in Cleveland, Ohio, home to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

My votes from that list? I'll take Guns N' Roses, the Cure, Heart, Joan Jett, Beastie Boys and Red Hot Chili Peppers. That's actually a pretty strong list to be honest as I love of lot of music those 6 artists have created over the years.

So what's the bitch this year? There are STILL a plethora of bands more deserving than any of those 6 that can't even get nominated. Don't believe me? Check out this list:

* KISS
* Cheap Trick
* Rush
* Deep Purple
* The Cars
* Stevie Ray Vaughan
* Bon Jovi
* Pantera
* Journey
* Foreigner
* Def Leppard

That would make a pretty cool HOF right there... but those are artists that haven't even gotten nominated yet. Seriously. It's mind blowing. Who is this hall for again? The fans? Or the critics? Laura Nyro got nominated before Journey? I just don't get it.

Oh well, hopefully I'll get to at least enjoy this year's induction ceremony with some of the bands nominated and continue to complain about all the bands not in. Some day, when KISS actually gets in, I'll make the road trip to Cleveland to check out the place first hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...