Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Movie Review: Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

Synopsis: The adventures of supernatural private eye, Dylan Dog (Brandon Routh), who seeks out the monsters of the Louisiana bayou in his signature red shirt, black jacket, and blue jeans. An Americanized version of the Italian horror graphic novel character.

I've never read the Italian horror comic but from what I've read this movie is pretty far removed from it, really more of just another generic monster hunter type movie with some humor and special effects. Sort of a Van Helsing meets Buffy The Vampire Slayer I guess.

I really found the main character pretty bland and his sidekick, a zombie funnyman, lame and unfunny (bordering on just flat out annoying). Think Jar Jar Binks. I'm a fan of Brandon Routh but thought overall the acting was pretty uninspired.

So, as horror it's not scary, as a comedy it's not very funny and as an adaption of a popular comic it sounds like it fails there too. So what it is? Well it's a little fun at times and as a stylized genre monster film, it's not horrible. I liked the special effects and a few of the monsters, including Taye Diggs as Vargas, look pretty cool.

But that can't save it. I had some fun, but all-in-all it's just pretty forgettable and bland.

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...