Friday, August 12, 2011

Movie Review: Seconds Apart

Synopsis: High schoolers Seth and Jonah are twins with a dangerous ability: telepathy. Things start to spiral out of their control as their classmates end up dying in twisted and bizarre ways. With the police suspecting them and closing in, jealousy begins to divide them and soon they can no longer trust each other.



I like how this movie starts out with a (literal) bang and instantly drew me in. Unfortunately then it drags a bit but finally explodes again in the third act. There are no real scares and a majority of the gore is implied, but it's pretty violent and has a disturbed, sadistic, mean streak to it with some supernatural elements. It's probably falls more under suspenseful chiller than horror. It's got some style of it's own and sort of unique, thought not incredibly clever. A couple of twists are offered to an otherwise fairly predictable plot.



The only actor I recognized was Orlando Jones, but I thought the acting was all pretty top notch really for a b-movie/indie film of this budget. I must say I enjoyed the fact that real-life twins actually starred in the role as the twins as many of these films will just do a lot of editing and special effects to make 1 person appear as twins. They surprised me with their acting too, as it's a very believable performance. If I were their classmates in real life I'd be scared of them I think.



Within the slightly cliche' horror plot is a nice movie about darkness and relationships. The relationship between the brothers, between them and a girl, their parents, their classmates and also between the detective and his past. There's some pretty good emotional drama behind the surface and some might find it boring, but I found it a nice addition to what might have been an otherwise slightly stale tale.



The film is well-shot and edited and feels like a much bigger budget Hollywood type film, but I mean that in a good way. I've watched almost every one of the After Dark Films (as you can see if you click this label) and this is probably in my top 5. It's a nice little psychological horror/drama worth your 90 minutes.



7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...