Tuesday, January 10, 2012

2011... The Year in Movies

2011 was a year in which I probably got out to the theaters less than any year in decades. Even the big Summer blockbuster season only lured me out a few times. Reasons? People on their damn cellphones? Prices? Weak movies? DVDs hit shelves 4 months later and I can watch movies in the privacy of my living room theater? All of the above perhaps, but still there was a lot of stuff I liked. So I may not have seen some of the year's biggest, but here ya go; my favorites and no-so-favorites of 2011.

Favorite Horror Films of 2011

10. The Rite
9. The Innkeepers
8. Seconds Apart
7. Fright Night
6. Grave Encounters
5. Insidious
4. Attack The Block
3. Troll Hunter
2. I Saw The Devil
1. Paranormal Activity 3

Decent year overall for horror, but not exceptional. I missed the annual Saw movie, and I haven't seen Final Destination 5 or Scream 4 yet (despite having both blu-rays laying on my kitchen table at the moment... ugh). But Paranormal Activity 3 really had me jumping in my seat and spritzing in my underwear. Fun film. I Saw The Devil was just totally brutal. Troll Hunter was very creative and fun I thought and Attack The Block was a blast.

Favorite Documentaries of 2011

3. God Bless Ozzy Osbourne
2. Foo Fighters: Back and Forth
1. Hot Coffee

Favorite Animated Films of 2011

6. Gnomeo and Juliet
5. Puss in Boots
4. Rio
3. The Adventures of Tintin
2. Kung-Fu Panda 2
1. Rango

Biggest Disappointments of 2011

5. The Roommate
4. Green Lantern
3. Stephen King's Bag of Bones
2. Dylan Dog: Dead of Night
1. Conan The Barbarian

It wasn't that I didn't like Green Lantern, I thought it was OK, it's just that expected to like it a whole lot more I guess. The Roommate had a double-sexy combo of Minka Kelly and Leighton Meister and was rated PG-13... could have been soooo good. Bag of Bones was OK but could have easily been a 2 hour movie, not a mini-series. My top 2... meh.

Favorite 11 Movies of 2011 (excluding above)

11. Green Hornet
10. Super 8
9. Limitless
8. Transformers: Dark of the Moon
7. Captain America: The First Avenger
6. X-Men: First Class
5. Thor
4. The Eagle
3. Warrior
2. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

I guess I like super hero movies? And violence. And action. Big, dumb popcorn movies are made specifically for me.

Possible Top 5 Movies of 2011 I Haven't Seen Yet (that look like I'll love 'em)

5. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
4. Fast Five
3. Real Steel
2. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
1. Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows

12 Most Highly Anticipated Releases for 2012

12. Frankenweenie
11. The Woman in Black
10. The Cabin in the Woods
9. Chronicle
8. Battleship
7. John Carter
6. Brave
5. The Amazing Spider Man
4. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
3. The Dark Knight Rises
2. Wrath of the Titans
1. The Avengers
1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

OK so I cheated!! I can't pick between those top 2 movies I swear. 13 movies is a much luckier number though, so I'm staying with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...