Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mega Stupid

I had an interesting quick (unsolicited) conversation this morning at the service station as I was overpaying for gas. Actually, I pay at the pump and don't even remember the day when humans walked inside to pay for gas. But anyway, I had gotten my gas and decided that since the Mega Millions jackpot was over $100 mil, which I could use for a few things (like gas), that I'd buy me a ticket. A lucky ticket preferably. So I went inside and when it was my turn for the resident middle-easterner to wait on me...

Me: 1 quick pick Mega Millions ticket please.
Leather-skinned Lady behind me: You're throwing your money away on that stuff?
Me: Excuse me?
Leather Lady: That lotto garbage. Waste of money.
Me: Oh. I just like to get one so I can dream about winning I guess. Have a nice day. (smile... exit politely)

I listened as I was walking out and I hear her say to cashier "Give me 2 packs of Marlboro Lights."

So, as former president of my high school math club (I was dammit!) I was thinking all the way to work.

For $1, I now have a 1 in 175,711,538 chance of winning the jackpot ($105 mil currently). I have a 1 in 40 chance of just winning something. Hey, the odds aren't great or anything but it beats a kick in the face. And what can you really get for a buck anymore? A honeybun? A blowpop? Enough gas to start your car once?

But for her 2 packs at $5 a pop?

Lucky her. According to the CDC, about 90 percent of lung cancer deaths in men and almost 80 percent of lung cancer deaths in women are due to smoking. The American Cancer Society reports that each year almost half a million people die of lung cancer, meaning almost one of every five deaths is related to smoking. By comparison to other causes of death, cigarettes kill more Americans than alcohol, car accidents, suicide, AIDS, homicide, and illegal drugs combined.

I like my odds better for a $1 ticket of dreams than her $10 investment in a potential lottery for a coughing, black death. Enjoy.

And for the record, I'd travel for the first year post winning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...