Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I Saw A Couple Of Baseball Rarities


I love baseball. As many games as I've attended in my lifetime though it seems like I should be able to say I've seen pretty much everything I guess. But last night at Dickey-Stephens Park in North Little Rock I sat in my season box seat and witnessed a first for me, and the park, and it occured in a game where a no-hitter also occured... only the 2nd time I've ever seen one of those tossed at the professional level. What a night.

NWA Naturals' lefty Will Smith's (not the Fresh Prince for the record) perfect game came to an end in the bottom of the sixth inning when he walked Clay Fuller. Then he walked Orlando Mercado to put runners on first and second with no outs. Catcher Alberto Rosario attempted to lay down a sacrifice bunt twice and then grounded into the first triple play in Dickey-Stephens Park's five-year history. Rosario grounded it to third, who stepped on the base to start the 5-4-3 triple play allowing Smith to still face the minimum.

Smith didn't come out for the 8th though due to a high pitch count. Kelvin Herrera relieved him and faced the minimum in his 2 innings to finish the no-hitter. 27 batters faced, 27 retired.


And talk about a tough luck loss. Matt Shoemaker (8-2, 2.28) pitched a complete game. He gave up five hits and an unearned run, striking out eight without a walk while throwing 106 pitches. In his last three outings, Shoemaker is 2-1 with a 0.36 ERA, giving up 11 hits and four walks in 25 innings. He has struck out 16 batters in that span. Shoemaker has already been Texas League Pitcher Of The Week twice this year and was a mid-season all-star.



Dickey-Stephens Park Milestone Moments:

* April 29th, 2010 - Ryan Braser pitched the 1st no-hitter (against Tulsa)
* July 19th, 2011 - Will Smith and Kelvin Herrera pitch the 2nd no-hitter (against the Travs)
* July 19th, 2011 - NWA turns the 1st triple-play in the 6th inning

And I was at all 3 moments. Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...